Set Firefox  Default Search Engine in URL Box
This post will show how to make the Firefox [4 Beta 8] URL box (which is the left one, by default; and it’s different from the search box) default to Google when something other than an URL is entered. (Just like Chrome’s omnibox.) It currently goes to Yahoo! For example, if you type, “hello world“, you want it to search for “hello world” (in Google). But it searches this in Yahoo! instead! Fortunately, there’s a way to change it to Google. (URLs like muntoo.wordpress.com will not be affected.)
- First, type in “about:config” into the url box, and click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!“:
- Under Filter, type in “http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=“:
- Edit the value of keyword.URL by double clicking it (or right click->Modify) and change it to “http://www.google.com/search?q=“:
- Do the same with browser.bdtoolbar.orig_keyword_url:
- And you’re done! Test by typing “the answer to life the universe and everything” into the url box.